A motor vehicle can be flat-towed behind a motorhome using a device commonly known as an A-frame.
An A-frame consists of a triangle shaped frame which provides a means of towing another vehicle without lifting the towed vehicle off the ground.
There are a number of strict legal and safety requirements for A-frame towing which you must implement and include (but are not limited) to:
- Gaining approval to tow with the use of an A-frame
- Attachment mechanism requirements for both the towing and the towed vehicles
- Dimension requirements
- Towing ratio requirements
- Braking, lighting, signage & steering requirements
- Manufacturers’ requirements.
Vehicle owners must check with the relevant road authority of their State/Territory to determine the requirements of A-frame towing and if it is acceptable.